Today’s Project Focus post is looking at my newly completed A-line summer skirt.
For this version I chose a lilac cotton with embroidered flowers on it. It feels a lot like a light to medium weight cotton and although will have movement and drape it does have a little more structure to it than other versions that I made of this skirt.
This was the first garment I made at a class I took earlier this summer and the pattern I have is from that class, so I have no reference or link to offer.
I picked up a white zip locally as no lilac ones were available and some cotton binding in a dark purple to match the embroidery on the fabric.
A wash and press of the fabric and I cut the fabric out, pinned and sewed the central back seam, then sewing both side seams. After pressing them open I zig zagged along the edges as at this moment I don’t have an overlocker and I’m hoping this will at least work somewhat on the edges. I’ve read that it will but that remains to be seen.
After that the zip got inserted and I made it an invisible zip. All that remained was the binding on the hem and waist with extra left to make some cute little ties and the skirt was complete. A perfect sew to accomplish in a day even for a beginner like me and it becomes a garment that’s easy to team with a t-shirt to wear and enjoy in the spell of hot sunny summer weather we are currently enjoying.