It’s been an enjoyably busy mid-term this past week. We’ve buried our heads in some books, hung out with friends at various points through the week, had apts, classes and trips to the cinema. We’ve celebrated Samhain, filled the house with the warm and delicious smells of baking and just generally relaxed from the normal hustle and bustle that goes with our daily school routine. I’ve made progress on some projects (knitting) and not on others (sewing) but the projects are meant for fitting in round family life not family life around the projects.
One of the projects that did get some work was the Bentley cardigan. I ended up working on this late last Sunday and I’ll explain why in a bit, but last week I was nearing the length of the short length and I was unsure of which length I wanted. Once I reached the short body length I tried on the cardigan, allowed the 3 inches that would be added with the ribbing and I decided that I wasn’t going to be comfortable with that length so opted for the longer body length. It was only 2″ more in body length so it didn’t take me that long but it made a big difference in how comfortable I felt when I tried it on. 3″ of ribbing and the body was complete. The neckband was picked up and I’ve just started the left hand button band. On other garments I’ve normally worked the sleeves after the body was complete leaving any necklines and button bands until the end. It’s not a big change but right now it feels more like I’m nearing completion, even though I still have two sleeves to go, we will see what the thought process is when I reach the sleeves.
Last Sunday, I continued to work on the Cumulus Blouse. I joined the piece to work in the round and then reached the part for splitting for the sleeves. For splitting for the sleeves, I normally stick my stitches on some yarn or string, whichever is close by at the time, but that wasn’t going to work for this Mohair blend. The stitches would stick to the yarn or string pulling and distorting them so I ordered some stitch holders and put it aside. This is how the Bentley got some extra love last weekend. I picked up the Cumulus again though yesterday and the newly arrived stitch holders, split for the sleeves and carried on with the body of Cumulus last night as I watched some movies with the children.
Round 11 began on Nov 1st in the Solid Socks group on Ravelry. This months colour is blue, so I rooted about in my stash and sent a picture of this Mondim yarn I’d picked up to see if it were acceptable, it was, so later today I’m going to start that pair of socks, I’m thinking I’ll do this Bouquet Socks pattern as I have the Toe-Up Socks for Everybody by Wendy Johnson. I did look to see if perhaps I could meet the Nov theme for the Sock Knitters Anonymous group also with this pair of socks but their monthly technique was mosaic and slipped-stitch colourwork, something that wouldn’t work with just the blue and the featured designer had no patterns that really grabbed my attention.
I’ve been members of these groups for years and always had great intentions of joining in but designing always kept me busy that I just didn’t have any time to spare, and while I may not join in every month with both, it’s nice to think that I can now if the themes in both grab my attention.
I had thought I might have gotten some sewing done this week, but the days were filled with other happenings and when I sat in the evenings it was only my knitting I wanted to pick up. I’m going to the knitting and stitching show later this week that’s happening in Dublin so perhaps I’ll come back from that excited to get at my machine and get creating even in the evenings when I’m a little more tired than during the day.
And so the list now looks like this;
Year of Projects 2018-2019 List
Fintry– started July 7th – finished August 9th Lichen– started August 11th – finished October 10th
- Bentley – started October 13th –
- Cumulus Blouse – started October 20th –
- Mae Cardigan
A-Line summer skirt– started July 19th – finished July 30th Margot Pyjamas
- Hollyburn skirt
- Scout Tee
- Cinema Dress
- Apron Dress
- Cuff Top
- New Look 6500
- New Look 6125
- New Look 6176
- New Look K6513
- Kabuki Tee
- Metamorphic Dress
- Stasia Dress and Tee
- The Matcha Top
- Aida Top
- Mimi Blouse
Simple Summer Dress– started July 28th – finished July 30th
My Dearest Loveliest Elizabeth– started July 16th – FROGGED Sock #1 Sock #2– started August 30th – finished 30th September
- Sock #3 – started October 11th –
- Sock #4 – started November 4th –
You can follow along with my knitted YOP 8 projects HERE
You can find the YOP group and weekly posts HERE